Cold and flu season brings unique health challenges not just for the person suffering from one of them – it can affect everyone around them! Airborne viruses can infect many others if those who are sick aren’t careful, and it’s can be really hard to be careful when you’re sick. Certain essential oils are well-suited to help people not just prevent the spread of the viruses, but help them feel better, too.
Essential oils like eucalyptus, lemon, and frankincense are, well, essential to have on-hand during cold and flu season. They are also one of the few remedies that smell amazing!
How Do I Use Essential Oils Against Colds And Flus?
There are a number of ways you can utilize essential oils in your fight against these illnesses. One of the best (and easiest when the cold or flu makes it hard to do anything) is diffusing the essential oil through the air. By using this therapeutic aromatherapy, it will let you breathe in the vapour and allow its healing and reviving properties to get into your body safely. Many of the oils we recommend are also antimicrobial, and diffusing them will clear the air of the virus before it can spread.
You can also use essential oils in compresses, in baths, or in massage blends. For a compress, use four drops in hot water and soak the small towel in it; the same amount should be used as a massage blend in a carrier oil. For your bath, draw the water, add around two cups of Epsom salt, and then use ten of the essential oil, or mix it up. A relaxing bath that also helps relieve symptoms might be just what you need!
Essential Oils For Cold and Flu
There are a number of essential oils you can choose to help relieve symptoms of the flu, prevent it from spreading further, and revive you when you’re on the mend. You’ll want oils that help with nausea, fever, and chills. Use any of the following essential oils by themselves, or try mixing them to get the benefits from a number of oils:
- Lemon: Yes, the citrus-fresh scent of lemon essential oil can also be one of the best ways to fight off the flu! It’s an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, perfect for fighting viruses and relieving the aches and pains that many feel when suffering from the flu.
- Peppermint: Put away the artificial peppermint candy and get the real positives from this plant from its essential oil! Peppermint relieves nausea and brings a calm, cool sensation to the body. You’ll want it if you’re having trouble stomaching this bout of the flu.
- Lemongrass: Don’t be confused; this comes from a different plant than lemon and has some small dissimilarities in how it fights flu symptoms. It’s a traditional ingredient in many cultures to fight stomach pains and relieve fevers. It’s also very calming, which is great for those who can’t seem to get comfortable when they come down with influenza.
Essential Oils For Colds
Colds aren’t as debilitating as flu bugs, but they can still knock you down for a couple of days and linger for weeks after. To help get you back on your feet, you’ll want essential oils that decongest, soothe sore throats, and relieve those awful headaches. Use any of the following, or mix several drops together for soothing blends:
- Eucalyptus: The best cold-fighter of them all, thanks to the properties of eucalyptol, which a good eucalyptus essential oil should have around or above 70%. It will help you breathe much easier when mucus build-up becomes a problem and is great for chest cold relief. Use it in a diffuser.
- Frankincense: This one is a natural antiseptic and decongestant, meaning it will both relieve symptoms and cleanse the air. If your illness is also giving you anxiety, frankincense will help you relax.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has great antiviral properties, helping to relieve sore throats and take care of the lingering virus. Use 10 drops in a carrier oil and rub it on your neck and sinuses, and in a diffuser to disinfect the air. You can make a cleaning remedy with water and 20 – 25 drops in a spray bottle, which should take care of any surfaces you’ve unthinkingly sneezed on!
Remember, you don’t have to restrict yourself to either list. The oils that best help with the flu can also relieve cold symptoms, and vice-versa. Contact us today for more targeted advice!